Friday, March 7, 2008

I'm an Orthodox Christian

On Sunday, February 17, while we were in the States, I was churched and baptized at St. George Cathedral in Wichita, Kansas. This is the same church where my Papa is a priest and where Mommy and Daddy got married!

Before Divine Liturgy, Mommy and I were churched. This was my introduction to the Orthodox church. The priest (my Papa, in this case) comes to the back of the church and says a blessing over the mother and baby. This is usually done when baby is 40 days old. That's an old tradition that allowed the mother and baby time to recover from the birth. For me, we waited until I was brought to the States to do my churching. Papa then carried me up to and behind the altar and said more prayers before handing me back to Mommy.

Uncle Marco and Auntie Tini are my Godparents. During an Orthodox baptism, the Godparents speak on behalf of the child, rejecting Satan and accepting Christ into his life. I was dunked into the water 3 times - in the name of the Father (dunk!) and of the Son (dunk!) and of the Holy Spirit (dunk!). I was Chrismated and received my first Holy Communion at my baptism.


After the baptism, we had a nice lunch at Papa & Oma's house. It was a really nice day, even though I cried a lot after I was dunked! Thanks to all my family for sharing that day with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad! I wish I could have been there. I can't wait to meet you. Only a few more months. I promise I will have your surprise then.