Here we are, in front of our old house, on our last morning in Sicily. It's so strange to think I won't be returning to my birthplace and first home. The journey to Oklahoma was long and difficult! I'm glad I don't have to do that again. We stopped in Norfolk, Virginia to say hello to some Sigonella friends, which made our transition a little more fun!It's pretty cool that I'll always be able to tell people that I was born in Italy, even if I won't remember being there. Now it's time to make a new home in Oklahoma City!
There are a few things I'll miss about Sigonella and Sicily. Most of all, I will miss all my great friends. They really are like family to me, and I hope we always stay close! I'll miss seeing Mt. Etna burping up lava. I'll miss watching Mommy and Daddy eat gelato and arancini. I'll miss dressing up in goofy costumes and having weekly parties. I'll miss the great aromas of fresh-baked Challah and gourmet cakes on an almost daily basis. I'll miss being only a hop away from other European countries. I could keep going, but let's move on to what I won't miss...I will not miss the geep and having to listen to Daddy complain about driving over their poop or waiting for them to move out of the road. I won't miss the unmistakable stench of "geep vomit". I won't miss the dangerous Sicilian drivers or the horrible roads they drive on. I won't miss the lack of diverse restaurants in Motta and Catania. I won't miss the smelly water coming from our taps or the "butt smell" it leaves in my parents' hair. I won't miss piles of garbage on the side of the road or the many stray animals who live in the garbage. Most of all, I won't miss having to make a 24-hour trip to come to the States to see my family and friends!
2 comments:
Hey- we miss you guys a lot! It is crazy hot here but we are hanging in there. talk to you soon.
How's Oklahoma City? And the house hunt? Hope all is well.
Post a Comment