
In November, we took one last big trip before my little brother or sister comes! We decided to go back to Ireland! This was a very special trip, even though I may not really understand it now. I had a good time, but most of the time I wanted to come home so I could play video games! We spent a week in the west of Ireland and saw some new places like Galway and the Cliffs of Moher. The coolest part of our trip was finding some old family history.

We went to the town of Doneraile in County Cork where Oma's grandfather was from. We ended up meeting a very kind old man who knew the Linane family and even learned to dance in their home! He took us and showed us the small, modest house that Oma's grandfather grew up in. He also said that the Linanes were a fun bunch of people, always laughing! Sounds like nothing has changed! We also found the land that was owned by Papa's great grandfather in Coolnaleen Upper, near Listowel in County Kerry. The O'Callaghans owned more than 300 acres there, and we met the grandson of the man who purchased the land from James O'Callaghan in 1906. Some of the old stone buildings are still there on the property, but the grand house that Papa Oscar called home burned in 1952. I may not be able to appreciate all this yet, but someday I will!

It may be quite some time before we are able to go back to Ireland, epecially since we will be a family of four soon! It was great to spend some time together, just the three of us, while getting to see beautiful places and hanging out in cozy pubs!
No comments:
Post a Comment